Game Time

Ok, here we go...

I am scheduled to check in around noon of Monday. I'll spend the rest of the day getting preliminary tests and, I suppose, being checked up on by the medical team. I suppose I'll get to speak with the anesthesiologists (who play a big part in this) and also with Dr. Mercado to go over the details of my surgery one last time.

I get wheeled into the OR very early Tuesday morning, where Dr. Mercado and his partner Dr. Gimenes will spend the next 5-7 hours drilling a hole through the back of my head and "carving" out the core of the tumor. As agreed upon they will leave the "shell" of the tumor untouched, so that there will no attempt to separate tumor from nerve.

After the operation I'll be kept asleep for another 24 hours using Propofol, the drug that Michael Jackson was "abusing" to manage his sleep. Throughout this 24 hour period they'll awaken me a few times (simply by stopping the Propofol drip) to check my responses before starting the drip again and putting me under. I'll also be on a respirator throughout this time.

Therefore I really only begin the process of coming out of surgery sometime Wednesday afternoon. By that time, I imagine I'll be groggy, weak, and in some pain; but if all goes according to plan, I should have all my mental and physical faculties intact. Except of course, if there are complications.

Ahh, the dreaded complications. I guess this whole affair would be boring without them. :-)

I've been "quoted" a 3-5% possibility of death. I'm guessing this is probably on the conservative side, the true odds are probably around 2%. Still, 2% would mean that one out of fifty patients never make it out, and that's a fairly scary thought. But I guess this possibility comes with the territory. Anytime someone goes under the knife, he exposes himself to this possibility. People die undergoing liposuction; and let me tell you, if you have go this way, "brain surgery" certainly sounds a whole lot better to me than "butt reduction". :-)

The complication I worry the most about is hydrocephalus. Literally, "water in the head". The condition can be caused if cerebrospinal fluid does not circulate well and begins to build up in the brain, causing increased intercranial pressure. The way I understand it, my brain structures have been in a constant state of compression for quite some time now (because of the tumor pressing on these structures) that ironically, relieving this compression might actually impact circulation negatively and cause the build-up of cerebrospinal fluid. Of all the complications, I dread this one the most, because it is the only one that has the potential to decrease IQ. (Note: death does not decrease IQ, it eliminates it.) Being already of low IQ I do not wish to diminish it further. :-) For that would leave me with only my good looks and lights-out three-point shooting ability to earn a living for my family. :-)

Lastly we might also have complications if things do not go entirely as planned and there is some damage to either the cranial nerves, the cerebellum, or the brain stem. I could end up with some physical problems (i.e. coordination, difficulty walking, facial palsy, difficulty swallowing, etc etc etc)

There are probably more possible complications. But these are bad enough that I do not wish to continue learning about the others. :-)

So there. If you've read this far, I thank you. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Forgive me for saying this, but review the 5 Ways You Can Help Me. Once surgery begins, pay especially close attention to No. 5: Help my family. Be supportive. Do not pepper them with questions and "what-ifs", both well-meaning and otherwise.

I thank you all...

7 comments:

  1. Yes Sol have been praying for you the day we knew about your tumor and will continue be praying for you and I know God will surely take good care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we'll be praying for you sol. lucas also includes his ninong sol in his nightly prayers =). see you in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you walk through this chapter in your life may the Grace and Peace that comes from the Lord be with you as you recover from surgery. I'll see you soon pare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Sol! I've been praying for you ever since I found out. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers. It's so nice to see that you still have your sense of humor. Ha! You've never had low IQ in your life. I'll give na lang to you the other characteristics you listed of yourself. Heh heh. =) See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sol, just heard about everything today from Grace.. My fervent prayers for your successful surgery and fast and complete recovery..Lets get that "W" !- Ian S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To My Main Man, You're not the MAIN MAN for nothing.. Since the day I knew about the "AN", I've always prayed for you and your family. As we always say in our basketball diaries, It ain't over 'til it's over.. See you when I see you !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sol, see you on the other side...Bonnie Ladrido

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to leave your name so I can appreciate your comments better. Select "Name/URL" from the "Comment as" pulldown window below. A separate window will pop up where you can enter your name. Thanks!