Doctors

After leaving Dr. Libarnes' Cardinal clinic with my diagnosis on June 23, 2009 I consulted with 6 other doctors regarding treatment (Dr. Libarnes himself was not a surgeon, and therefore could not be responsible for my care). Overall, with the exception of one particular doctor from that hospital where politicians seek political asylum, I found them to be a great bunch, generally brilliant, compassionate, and kind. I'd like to mention some of them here:

Dr. Charlotte Chiong - Neuro-otologist, Capitol Medical Center. She partners with Dr. Gap Legaspi as the neurosurgeon, and together they form the Batman-Green Arrow team that performs Approach #2 surgeries. I did not have the opportunity to meet Dr. Legaspi. What I remember the most about Dr. Chiong was that she spent a full hour with me during the consult. Out of the corner of my eye, I kept sensing her secretary signalling to her that she had to be somewhere else soon, but her demeanor never changed, her patience never wavered.

Dr. Ed Mercado - Neurosurgeon, Cardinal Santos Medical Center. A dynamic personality who oozes competence and confidence. Can switch comfortably between boardroom English and street slang. In short, a cool guy who's the best at what he does. I've been trying to think which local actor I would choose to play him (since this is often a good way to describe someone). Probably Eddie Garcia (a younger Eddie Garcia of course).

Dr. Willy Lopez - Neurosurgeon, Medical City. More of the quiet, studious type. Radiates intellect and compassion. Probably to be played by Rowell Santiago. Rowell Santiago today, not Rowell Santiago of the Sharon Cuneta days.

Dr. C. F. Fung - Neurosurgeon, Private Clinic, Hong Kong. - Arguably Hong Kong's best. Level-headed, mature type who was remarkably gracious answering our questions mostly posted through my cousin Jarvis who's a doctor in Hong Kong, although eventually I did have a personal consult with him in early August. Closest guy I can think of to play him would be John Woo himself in a cameo role, wearing a crazy wig. :-)

My sister Jocelyn also had a number of phone consults with some US doctors, namely:

Dr. John Adler of the Stanford Medical Center
Dr. William Slattery of House Ear Institute
and
Dr. Michael McDermott of the UCSF Medical Center

Overall, these guys also left me with the same general impression: Brilliant, thoughtful, deliberate, with a touch of humor and compassion.

Now I had to pick one, a process which is infinitely more difficult than deciding on which actors would play them. :-)

In my family there was, I guess understandably, a strong preference to see me seek treatment in the US. I really do see their point; all other things being equal, the best US doctors are probably a bit better than the best Philippine doctors, only because they have better access to technology, and have had a larger pool of patients to gain experience on (because of the much larger US population). In fact, I remember that during my first consult with Dr. Mercado, I asked him the following question: "If I were your son, what would you advise me?" Even he acknowledged that he would send me to the US but only provided it was to one of the top 5 surgeons.

BUT, the way I looked at things, all other things were not equal. I told my family that surgical skill was only one factor, we also had to consider logistics, comfort, and resources. Dr. Mercado also inadvertently touched on this when he answered my question above. He said that Filipinos not only did not end up with the top 5 surgeons, they tend to end up in the US equivalents of Dumaguete or Cagayan de Oro, simply because these places were where their logistical support and resources were.

As Sun Tzu once said:

"When an army is dispatched on a distant campaign the expenses borne by the people together with the disbursements of the treasury will amount to a thousand pieces of gold daily. There will be continuous commotion both at home and abroad, people will be exhausted by the requirements of transport, and all affairs will be disrupted."

I told my family that I had no doubt they would be willing and ultimately able to help and support me whatever the resource requirements. But I asked them if such would be practical? Are the differences in technology and surgical skill so large and so clear that we should ignore all other considerations and seek treatment from top surgeons in the US? Difficult to answer, but I believe the answer is "no". I would much rather have very good treatment here at home, see my daughter before leaving for the hospital, and recover on my own bed.

In the end, after a few difficult weeks, I decided to go with Dr. Ed Mercado, for the following main reasons:

1) He inspires my confidence. For both tangible (i.e. reputation, record, etc.) and less tangible (i.e. demeanor, "connection", etc.) reasons.

2) I am comfortable with his methodology - to "debulk" the tumor or make it smaller by removing its core, leaving behind the shell which will later on be "killed" via Gamma Knife radiosurgery. In my layman's mind, I am convinced this method provides the best odds of leaving the cranial nerves intact.

3) I have a preference for having treatment in the Philippines and recovering at home.

Accompanied by Kathy and my sister Christine, we went to see Dr. Mercado last August 6 to set a surgery date. I am at peace with the decision. I believe God was with us then, and I believe He will be with me six days from now...

14 comments:

  1. You really write well. The way you convey your thoughts through your words explains your situation to us.

    Keep writing about you. I enjoy knowing about you and what is happening in your life. If anything I get to know you more, something I feel we did not do enough of before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come the countdown says 4 days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... mine says 5. Is it possible your computer clock is a day advanced? Right time wrong date?

    ReplyDelete
  4. or...
    your computer's time and date might be correct, but the time zone chosen might be wrong. For example, the time zone might have been erroneously set at GMT-4. So even though your time and date are set correctly to the Philippine time, but your computer thinks it's in Puerto Rico. This is very relevant, because if it's say 2:30 pm August 13 Philippine time, but your computer thinks it is in Puerto Rico, then it computes correctly that it is already 2:30 am August 14 in the Philippines and thinks it is now much nearer to the 'deadline' of Philippine time 7 am August 18.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    This blog is really informative. Can you please tell us the symptoms of acoustic neuroma. Hope I don't have AN. I am experiencing ringing on my ears and a little dizziness. I still need to do some follow up checkup this Saturday. I think I need to request for an MRI just for my peace of mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the two main symptoms are loss of hearing on one side and loss of balance. In some cases there is also "ringing". BUT, do not panic yet because the same symptoms can be caused by excess fluid in the ear (especially after a bout of the common cold). Rule this out first with an ENT doctor before considering the possibility of an AN. That MRI ain't gonna be cheap!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been reading a lot of blogs lately hoping I could find the best neurosurgeon for my significant other. MRI result shows he has a brain tumor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Can I ask how r u now after 4 years of operation?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's my boss :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How are you now? I'm worried I have AN. I just turned 24 and last year my ENT doctor told me I have a tumor, which I ignored because of the reason he told me there's nothing to worry about because it's not malignant. And just gave me medicine such as Nicotinic Acid, Vit B etc. (which I don't know if it really helps.) But when I came across tinnitus on Google and searched for the causes of my dizziness, headaches, ear aches, Imbalance and visual problem, I started to get worried. I'll be seeing another doctor for a 2nd opinion about this tumor, soonest

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Are you an author? I'd be glad to buy a copy of a book you wrote, if any! :-)

    You made an excellent choice, Dr. Ed Mercado is not only oozing with confidence and competence but is one doctor who has an amazing compassionate heart! His former patients, (I was one of them) will attest to this.It is noteworthy too that he acknowledges God as the supreme healer. Before performing craniotomy/craniectomy in me, he told me and my family to pray and ask that God will guide him and work on his hands during my operation. After a week, I was being discharged from the hospital, with none of the possible three complications and three side effects Dr. Ed prepared me for before my surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I hope you continue to be well..

      Delete
  12. What happened to your operation did it go well?

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to leave your name so I can appreciate your comments better. Select "Name/URL" from the "Comment as" pulldown window below. A separate window will pop up where you can enter your name. Thanks!